- - - - -

Advantages of a V6 over a V8

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 The_Wasp

The_Wasp
  • Members
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Fbodies, fbodies and fbodies. Even though I don't own one....

Posted 11 February 2004 - 04:00 PM

OK, I know V6's are better on fuel economy & stuff, but as far as modding goes, do they have any advantages over the V8? thinker.gif The reason I ask is because I know absolutely nothing about cars and am thinking of possibly opting for a V6 whenever I get my Fbody (insurance purposes).

Thanx smile.gif

#2 redfirebird

redfirebird
  • VIP Member
  • 693 posts
  • Interests:Hmm to many.:lol:

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:18 PM

I dunno. thinker.gif They would be more expensive to mod as compared to a V8 and they dont have as much aftermarket parts as the V8's do although i beleive GTP internals can be interchanged with the V6 Fbody's giving them some good choices. But nope if you want power and speed go LT1 or LS1.biggrin.gif

#3 Sean

Sean

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 9,063 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:47 PM

we can pretty much get the same parts a v8 can get, cams,rockers,headers. but i dont know about shit like heads but i think parts cost about the same. its just that the V8's come stock with way more power so they are allways gonna be faster.
2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster Enthusiast
Posted Image

#4 Sean

Sean

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 9,063 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:48 PM

Your gonna have to talk to GoldenPhoenix. he is moddin the hell outta his 6'er
Posted Image

#5 Goldenphoenix99

Goldenphoenix99
  • VIP Member
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:The Firebird, travel, women, horsepower, torque, money and power.<br><br>Guys my other email address is [email protected]

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:34 PM

Well I wouldnt be modifying the v6 Firbird if it had come with any engine besides the 3800 series two. If it werent for the 3800 I would jump on the band wagon also and get a v8.

All the parts you can get for a v8 you can get for a V6 but the wise thing to do with the V6 is get forged parts for the engine.

The V6 3800 will be much more expensive to mod than the V8 as far as the money to hp ratio. Thats what two less cylinders gets you.

The 3800 is a great engine despite what some V8 riders might tell you. For a v6 its quite powerful. Its a very well designed engine both for regular cruisers and modding to hotrod status. There are 3800 engines out there that are putting down some 500 and 600 hp which I think is awesome. I'll try and find you a website of one here in a sec.

The engines can handle huge(up to 32#s) amounts of boost with forged internals and have been know to handle up to 11 or 12 #s safely on stock (no more than 9 recommended though) internals.....something you cant do with a LS1 or LT1. biggrin.gif I have heard of some 3800 Firebirds, in magazines, making 300 hp with programming but I dont know all the details about that. If you plan on making some big power you need to plan on full intake and exhaust exchange along with a charger, turbo or N20 or combo those and programming.

Other than that you mod a v6 for insurance purposes...to have power under a v6 title. biggrin.gif and for the uniqueness. Oh and there is a whole lot more room to do the mods under the hood than with the V8s, they are also lighter by about 400 pounds.

#6 Goldenphoenix99

Goldenphoenix99
  • VIP Member
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:The Firebird, travel, women, horsepower, torque, money and power.<br><br>Guys my other email address is [email protected]

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:47 PM

Go here and take a look at this. http://www.intense-racing.com/ And look for this-
INTENSEā„¢ Race Ready Short Block Assembly. Here is what they have to say about it.

This completely assembled short block evolved from the original design by Lee Performance Products, and is actually somewhat superior to the setup used in the Spirit of Bonneville race car, which became the first production FWD car to achieve 200 MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats in August 2001. Our race blocks have endured 502 horsepower at 7,100 RPM for five miles straight at Bonneville Speed Week, and peak horsepower of 655 horsepower in our Turbo Project Car. At INTENSE, we do NOT support using sub-standard components in order to reduce rotating mass. Although lightened bottom end components may increase your horsepower in the short-term, we do not feel the risks are worth the potential gains. It is important to understand that while this engine will not actually increase your horsepower, it will survive the horsepower the rest of your combination can produce.

Good stuff huh! Im actually thinking about buying it. biggrin.gif

#7 The_Wasp

The_Wasp
  • Members
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Fbodies, fbodies and fbodies. Even though I don't own one....

Posted 12 February 2004 - 05:31 AM

Thanks man, that really excellent. NOTE TO SEAN: Make a :cheers: smilie!!!!

#8 Sean

Sean

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 9,063 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 02:43 PM

will do. i plan on adding some smilies tonight. its just that its a long process
Posted Image

#9 GOODY350

GOODY350

Former Somebody

• VIP Member
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Music, Wrestling, CARS, Harleys

Posted 12 February 2004 - 04:09 PM

I've always liked the 3800 engine. I'm pretty sure in like 94/95 the 3800 was making about the same power as the rustang gt's (which is not just a compliment to the 3800 but a huge insult to the gt too). I've seen a few claiming to run 12's, too, but never seen them do it. I know it can be done, tho!

#10 Goldenphoenix99

Goldenphoenix99
  • VIP Member
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 05:02 PM

If you go to the link I gave you in my last post and go down that page some you will see some times with the 3800 series 2 engines. The best time on there is by Scott Cook who is bring down times like 10.674 in the quarter mile! inlove1.gif

#11 Goldenphoenix99

Goldenphoenix99
  • VIP Member
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 08:59 PM

Got some good stuff for you here!!! Listen, learn, bust nut! inlove1.gif

http://www.intense-r...Record_Dyno.wmv

#12 Mike12

Mike12
  • VIP Member
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:40 AM

That sure as hell didn't sound like a V6, it sounded pimp as hell, better than a lot of V8's. drool.gif

#13 slow95z

slow95z
  • Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 07:42 AM

eek.gif thats one badass sounding V6
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users